Posts Tagged ‘Human rights defender’

Barbara Hendricks – a human rights defender of a special kind

November 2, 2012

Barbara Hendricks at MEA ceremony 2003 with late Sergio Vieira de Mello and Alirio Uribe Munoz

The trigger to write about this very special person is that she has just been celebrated as UNHCR’s Goodwill ambassador for 25 years.

You are really the princess of the humanitarian and human rights world,” High Commissioner for Refugees António Guterres said at a special UNHCR staff ceremony in Geneva. “The authority of your voice is a precious instrument for our fight,” he added. “Twenty-five years – it’s a long time and the cause of refugees has been a part of my life since my first mission,” said Hendricks, adding that it had been an honour to work for UNHCR. She praised the refugees who inspire her and the UNHCR staff who help them. “Thank you so much. It has been a fantastic journey and I look forward to continuing for as long as I can.

What many people do not know is that Barbara Hendricks has not only been a dedicated and outspoken advocate for refugees for the past 25 years, but also been a strong supporter of other causes including human rights, e.g. as a Patron of the Martin Ennals Award for Human Rights Defenders or in giving her support to creating the True Heroes Foundation, Films for Human Rights Defenders in 2007.

The American-born Swedish citizen was inspired by the struggle for civil rights in the USA as a child and never let off. The human rights world needs celebrities but even more it needs celebrities with real and long-term commitment. This is what makes Barbara Hendricks a Human Rights Defender in her own name! Thanks.

Ayman Nasser, Palestinian HRD in Israeli detention

October 23, 2012
Map showing the West Bank and Gaza Strip in re...

(Photo credit: Wikipedia)

The Middle East and the Israeli-Palestinian conflict in general may get a lot of media attention but the issue of individual HRDs in Palestine often remains outside the limelight. Here is a recent example:

The Jerusalem based NGO Addameer reports that its staff researcher and longtime prisoner advocate Ayman Nasser was abducted from his home by occupation forces early on October 15. On October 18, he appeared in a military court in Jerusalem where his interrogation period was extended by seven days. Ayman addressed the court directly with the following words: “I believe that every human being has opinions and positions and if it’s not violating the law he can freely think and speak these opinions. I am a human rights defender who supports the Palestinian prisoners and I represent my opinions in the public media. My thoughts are not secret, they are public, and everyone knows them.”

Like many Palestinian prisoners, Ayman is subject to medical neglect – he is currently only receiving two out of the five medications that he requires daily. Addameer reported, “The judge ruled that based on ‘secret evidence’ he would extend Ayman’s interrogation period for another seven days and referred the situation of the medicine to the doctor at Moskobiyyeh detention center.” Moskobiyyeh, where Ayman is now held, is one of the most notorious detention centres in the Israeli occupation system; he was interrogated for 10 hours straight on October 17 and his interrogation has continued with similar intensity since that time.

Ayman spent six years in Israeli prisons, from 1992 to 1997. He has worked at Addameer since 2008, lectures in social work at Al-Quds Open University, and directs the Handala Centre, a cultural centre in Saffa village. On October 21, it was announced that he won a seat on his village’s municipal council in the weekend’s West Bank municipal elections, from his cell in Israeli detention.

Click here to send a letter to Israeli officials demanding the immediate release of Ayman Nasser and an end to the persecution of Palestinian human rights defenders.

Martin Ennals Foundation expresses concern regarding Nabeel Rajab’s upcoming trial

October 10, 2012
English: Nabeel Rajab protesting outside Muhar...

Nabeel Rajab May 2011 (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

The Martin Ennals Foundation would like to express its growing concern regarding the upcoming hearing on October 16th concerning the appeal of Nabeel Rajab’s conviction.

Mr. Rajab is appealing a three year sentence handed down by the Bahraini Courts. This sentence is widely viewed as an attempt to block his freedom of expression and prevent him from supporting peaceful protests.

The Bahrain Center for Human Rights was one of three Finalist Nominees for the Martin Ennals Award, which was handed out in Geneva on October 2nd. The Martin Ennals Award is selected by a Jury of ten leading Human Rights organizations and aims to publicize the work and protect a Human Rights Defender. Regrettably, Mr. Rajab was not able to attend the ceremony due to his detention.The Martin Ennals Foundation supports the widespread calls for his release made by many leading Human Rights Organizations including members of our Jury. We urge the Bahraini Courts to release Mr. Rajab.

from : http://www.martinennalsaward.org

Who is the laureate of the MEA 2012? – answer tonight at 18h45 in Geneva

October 2, 2012

 

This morning the Jury of the Martin Ennals Award for human rights Defenders (MEA) came together in Geneva to decide who will ultimately be the Laureate of the MEA 2012. I was there and know the result but it stays under wraps until approximately 18h45 Geneva time when the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights will make the announcement during the ceremony which can be followed live on http://www.martinennalsaward.org as from 18h00.

 

Indonesia’s Febi Yonesta interviewed by HRF

September 24, 2012

Human Rights First is running a series of profiles on human rights defenders we work with in various countries. These profiles help to explain their work, motivations, and challenges. On 19 September 2012 it was the turn of Febi

Photo of Febi Yonesta

How did you become an activist? When I was still a law student, I was active in various student organizations including the ASEAN Law Student Association, Law Student Assembly, Hasanuddin English Debating Society, and Makassar Judicial Monitoring. I found myself more involved in Human Rights Advocacy when I joined The Jakarta Legal Aid Institute (LBH Jakarta) in 2005 through its Legal Aid Workshop. At that time, my mind opened up to the ugly truth of the human rights situation in Indonesia. The poor and the oppressed suffer from unjust policies imposed by the Indonesian government. They are forcibly evicted from their houses without any adequate compensation or even relocation and the poor are left homeless. Companies that enact downsizing policies do not compensate the labor force that remains jobless. Minority groups also suffer continuous discrimination and violence yet, no clear government policies exist to overcome all of these issues. I learned that The Legal Aid Institute has made significant contributions to the human rights and democracy struggle in Indonesia. It is because of this that I’m thrilled and encouraged to follow the legal aid lawyer path in maintaining the human rights struggle.

Do you even see yourself as a human rights defender?

I see myself simply as a lawyer who is very concerned about human right issues and strives to always give my best as a human rights advocate.

How do you perceive the current situation in Indonesia i.e. blasphemy laws, internet freedoms, religious minority groups?

The current situation in Indonesia regarding religious freedom is extremely bad. Religious based intolerance; discrimination and violence have increased into something that is really horrifying and difficult to resolve without any sincere willingness on the part of the government and key figures to take part in resolving it. The biggest problem is, in most incidents, that the government acquiesces in the act of intolerance and discrimination by using the situation to gain a political advantage which only adds more suffering to the religious minorities who are always the victims.

Religious based intolerance and discrimination in Indonesia is legitimized by the anti-blasphemy law no. 1/pnps/1965 where different religious teachings, interpretation, as well as expression are prone to criminalization or violence under the law. Some cases have shown that this law has been abusively applied to those who deemed as heretic or deviant from the mainstream religious perspective.

Information technology such as the Internet, has actually become the easiest way to disseminate ideas but in the same sense has been utilized to spread religious hatred. The information and electronic transaction law is sometimes used to restrict as well as criminalize ideas and religious expression that contradict the mainstream ideology, and is used as another means to pursue religious hatred incited through the Internet.

What do you want to see happen in Indonesia – outcome based?

As long as the anti-blasphemy law and the problematic provision in the Information and Electronic Transaction law still exist, they can be abused and exploited by the intolerant groups to pressure the government to enact laws against religious minorities in a discriminatory manner. We have once filed a petition against the anti-blasphemy law where the Constitutional court saw the law as problematic therefore recommended that the law be revised to avoid exploitation and abuse. However, up until now there has been no sign from the government to revise the law anytime in the near future. Therefore, I am keeping a close eye on the continued struggle for a legal framework that guarantees religious freedom and will continue to advocate for any legislation, including amendments to said laws which lay ground for religious intolerance and discrimination.

What risks do you see are posed on your everyday life, if any?

Working in the human right field is not easy especially in terms of fulfilling the economic needs of my family. With my education and professional background I should ordinarily be able to earn more than enough to fulfill my family needs. Along with working with the religious freedom issue, the risks are quite apparent, especially when I have to stand face to face with the intolerant groups and receive constant assault, harassment, and threats for defending religious freedom. The temptation to leave my human rights work sometimes crosses my mind but my commitment to keep on working in human right area does not waiver because as long as the poor and the oppressed still exist and suffer from human rights violation and religious minorities are still facing severe acts of intolerance and discrimination then I will continue doing what I am doing in hope of a better future for Indonesia.

What is a normal day in the life of…Febionesta?

Although I am based in Jakarta, I reside in Bogor (a suburban city), which is my hometown. I was born and raised there. Thus during the week, I need to get up early in the morning around 6am to leave for work around 7am. It usually takes one and half hours by train to get my office.

I always spend my train ride reading the news, tweeting and checking my emails. However, with my new post as director of LBH Jakarta it has certainly impacted my daily life. I really need to use as much of my spare time to think about management, coordination, and responding to all my emails. Most of the time, I return home around 9pm or even 11pm and I don’t have enough time to play with my kids. I do try to spend any spare time I have left to have quality time with my family. Most of my time now is spent organizing meetings, talking to communities, discussing cases, maintaining advocacy networks, talking to the media, and so on. I also try to relax by playing musical instruments and writing songs (where some of them are written about people’s suffering and human rights issues).

WOZA’s case shows that meetings can help generate support for HRDs

September 18, 2012

From 6 to 8 June 2012, Women of Zimbabwe Arise (WOZA) national coordinator Jenni Williams attended an international human rights experts meeting is Oslo, hosted by the Norwegian Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
She presented the story of WOZA and its mandate of peaceful protest and the brutality of the state in responding with violence.
Amongst those attending were the United Nations Special Rapporteur on freedom of assembly and association, Maina Kai; the Special Rapporteur on freedom of opinion and
expression, Frank La Rue; and the Special Rapporteur on human rights defenders, Margaret Sekaggya as well as the Special Rapporteur on Human Rights Defenders of the Africa commission on human and people rights, Reine
Alapini-Gansou.
The African Commission Special Rapporteur Reine Alapini-Gansou and two United Nations Special Rapporteurs have since released statements.
http://wozazimbabwe.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Oslo-statement-FINAL1.pdf
and http://wozazimbabwe.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Press-release-PEACEFUL-PROTEST.pdf

Visit WOZA website at http://www.wozazimbabwe.org or follow on Twitter at http://twitter.com/wozazimbabwe.

This information was provided by the International Secretariat of the Women Human Rights Defenders International Coalition (WHRD IC)

Posters MEA ceremony up in Geneva

September 18, 2012

courtesy Nat Daudrich

Thanks to the partnership with the City of Geneva hundreds of posters are lining the streets of Geneva in anticipation of the ceremony of the Martin Ennals Award for Human Rights Defenders (MEA) on 2 October in the splendid Victoria Hall. The laureate will be announced that evening but all three nominees will be honored and films on their work shown. The nominees are: Luon Sovath (Cambodia), Nasrin Sotoudeh (Iran) and the Bahrain Centre for Human Rights.

UN speaks on Reprisals against Human Rights Defenders

September 15, 2012

United Nations Radio: Reprisals against human rights defenders go unpunished

LISTEN / DOWNLOAD

Scores of human rights defenders in at least 12 countries worldwide have faced serious reprisals and intimidation over the past one year, according to a report by the UN Secretary General Ban Ki Moon.

The report says the human rights defenders were tortured, detained without trial, beaten, banned from travelling, labeled traitors and subjected to various forms on inhuman treatment mostly in the hands of state security agents.

The Secretary General said it was disheartening that governments concerned were unwilling to fully investigate the cases and bring to justice those behind the reprisals.

In a statement to the UN Human Rights Council Panel on Reprisals, Mr Ban appealed to governments to do more to protect those who cooperate with the UN in the field of human rights.

Duration 44″

http://www.unmultimedia.org/radio/english/2012/09/reprisals-against-human-rights-defenders-going-unpunished/

Human rights defender Nabeel Rajab sentenced to 3 years prison in Bahrain

August 16, 2012

 Today, 16 August, Nabeel Rajab, President of the Bahrain Centre for Human Rights (BCHR) which is one the 3 nominees of the Martin Ennals Award for Human Rights Defenders 2012, was sentenced to three years imprisonment on charges of illegal assembly

Nabeel Rajab with one of many tear gas cannisters fired into his houseNabeel Rajab with one of many tear gas cannisters fired into his houseFront Line Defenders, one of the NGOs on the Jury of the MEA, other NGOS condemned the imprisonment of Nabeel Rajab and called for his immediate and unconditional release.

The prosecution of Nabeel Rajab for exercising his rights to freedom of assembly and freedom of expression, was done before a court that has consistently failed to adhere to international fair trial standards. It is part of an ongoing pattern of repression by the Bahraini authorities against human rights defenders.

See interview with Nabeel Rajab at time of his initial arrest in July

Bahraini human rights activist, Said Yousif, released

August 16, 2012

I have just learned from Front Line that the Bahraini human rights activist, Said Yousif, was released soon after his arrest. This is good news of course but does not change the fact that so many others linger in jail. A good and detailed piece can be found at:

http://www.presstv.ir/detail/2012/08/15/256341/locking-up-usual-suspects-in-bahrain/